Many of us donate to various charities that are important to us, or support a friend that is raising money for a cause. For all gifts/donations, direct or matching, the organization receiving the gift must be a recognized charitable organization (recognized by IRS as a registered 501c3 charitable organization). Most charities will list this info on their website.
Individual donations are bigger with a matching donation from the Foundation.
1) Make an on-line donation to a charitable organization
2) Take a screen shot of your receipt and verify the 501(c)(3) status (often on the receipt)
3) Fill out the Request A Matching Donation form
4) The matching donation will be made on the required charity’s fund raising site
5) You will receive an email confirming that the matching donation has been completed
For family members, 30 years old or older, the donation matched must be at least $50 and is matched at a straight 1 to 1 rate.
For family members, 29 years old or younger, the donation matched must be at least $25 and is matched 2 for 1. (that means a $25 donation receives a $50 match – making your contribution worth $75!)
This is a great way to increase the impact of your donations.
If you prefer to write a check to your charity
1) Photo copy or scan your check.
2) Send a copy of the check or receipt page along with a short note indicating:
– who to make the matching check to
– the address to send the matching check to
– any additional info that needs to be included, such as verification of 501(c)(3) status
3) Email the info to email@example.com
4) Mail your check as you normally would. The Foundation will mail in the matching check with a note referencing your original donation.
Matching Donation Guidelines
Matching donations are limited to one donation to the same organization, per family per calendar year. This doesn’t mean multiple families can’t have matching donations to the same organization within the same year (that actually happens often).
There’s no upper limit stipulated, but the Foundation retains the right to limit the size of a matching donation.
Some matching donations to date have reached as high as $2,500.
For all gifts/donations, direct or matching, the organization receiving the gift must be a recognized charitable organizations (recognized by IRS as a registered 501c3 charitable organization). Most charities will list this info on their website.